Monday, September 12, 2005

mimi itwa jojo, ninakaa dodoma

Arrival
In the beginning was a blog, a blog from Dodoma. I have been in Dodoma for a week now and am still taking it all in, the last week has felt like a month...

Arrived in Nairobi on a Sunday night. I stayed at the Mennonite Guest House for the night, which brought back lots of memories from childhood, playing on the old tire swing, eating playdough with Gretchen in her den, sleepovers at Beth’s house, playing ghost and the graveyard, and all that. I was sad to not spend some more time in Nairobi but hope that I will take a trip to Kenya this year. The early shuttle didn’t come like it was supposed which made me slightly grateful cause Nick and I were able to go to Sarit Centre (oh mall of the past). Nick is the other person working in TZ this year. He is working in Mugumu, teaching English, and science classes to nurses and doctors there. One of the first question Nick asked me in Dodoma was, "Do you bird?" and I was like "What!?" oh, birding of course. Yes I have a pair of binoculars ductaped to my body everywhere I go (or not soo much). He is a passionate “birder” so spotted many new birds everywhere we went and has about 4 books of birds with him. I actually think I could get into it (surprisingly). It’s actually a great way to enjoy nature and East Africa is a bird paradise-- in the words of Ron, "It dont get no betta than thisss!" So while at Sarit I thought about going up to Nargis at the salon and showing her my new dreads. I know she would have remembered me because of my mom and probably flipped out.

Arusha—
Took the shuttle to Arusha at noon and enjoyed the African roadside. It took about 6 hours till we arrived near the base of Mount Meru. Arusha is a pretty place. We were picked up by our country rep Rodney who took us to his home where we met Barb, the other rep, and their three little kids Janae, Trevor, and Levi who all know Swahili. The following night we were able to go to Nyantito’s house, meet his wife Winny and little girl Prisca. We went with some other missionaries Christopher and Rebecca. Ugali and sukuma wiki again at last…and great people...

So we hung out in Arusha for the next two days, getting to know the place a bit. Nick and I went to watch the International tribunal for Rwanda which has been taking place in Arusha the last 6 years. There were three court cases going on and we sat in on one of them. Just going to sit in for a couple of hours was pretty intense. A witness was being cross-examined on an event in which people (Tutsis) had been ordered to leave the hospital by a certain doctor and were then killed by Hutus in the surrounding area. It seemed to be a very slow process. There was a lot of confusion in the translation of the statements that the witness had given (which had been translated into French from his own Rwandan language/dialect a couple times slightly differently). The defender had a different interpretation than the prosecutor. One translation suggested that he had said the doctor had “released” or “discharged” those hospitalized before they were ready to go. Another translation implied the Tutsi patients were “chased” away from the hospital only to be murdered later. It was all so crazy to think about.

It was also fascinating to get a glimpse of how people are trying to restore justice in some way to the horror that happened. It is still an immense wound that will take decades or longer to heal. The court is supposed to continue for 5 more years. And of course that is only part of the process for healing the peoples of Rwanda deep pain and tragedy. How can we truly begin to comprehend the immensity of what happened? Its heart-breaking.

Arrival in Dodoma

It takes 12 hours to ride from Arusha to Dodoma! I was accompanied by Margaret, a social worker for Compassion, which has a site at the Kanisa la Mennonite (Iringa Rd). Had a lovely little girl sit on my lap part of the way. We had two stops and I didn’t meander at all. Carla and Kurt I remembered your bus story, which made me bust out laughing, but I really didn’t want to take the risk of being left behind and hopping on another bus to chase down the other one!

Arrived in Dodoma and went to Pastor Amos house for supper. I have received such a warm welcome from everybody here. The next day I visited the church and met people who work here. Our office for programs on HIV/AIDS will be ready in a couple months. Amos' wife Esther is studying in Zambia for another two months and she will be the HIV/Aids response coordinator, and I will be helping and supporting her as best I can as a "facilitator". Right now I am studying Swahili so have a couple months to immerse myself in it before really helping.

New Life Choir
That day after hanging out in the office I went to the New Life Choir practice—the youth Choir (teens-30’s…). It will be very fun to sing with them this year. The next day I had to peform with them at a wedding. It was pretty hilarious. I didn’t really know any of the words but enough rhythm to move with them and mouth what I think they are singing! Because I have joined and have to go up there with them, I have had to try and follow the steps and sing when I hear it all for the first time (on stage or whatever). Yeah, it’s a little nerve wracking, cause I don’t really know what song we are singing until its over. But its all cool.

It must be a new form of impromptu dancing…. I was telling my family I think the African choir exposure from the time of the wee babe stage has been entrenched in my memories growing up, sort of lying dormant until Lisa Woolsey began to inspire it up again (along with Aimee, Carla, Anne G.--and Karin dear) into a goofy, cool, but slightly cheesy dance style of our own. I sort of get the African choir beat.

The wedding was cool, but super long (that is to me--I'll adjust). I was about to fall out of my chair seriously. It was very interesting wedding though, will post some pics and thoughts later…

Goat Feast
Went to a goat feast on Saturday night of a family from the church. For starters we had goat soup…that stuff is potent! I am sure if you drank a bucket you would start to grow goat fur on yer chest. Almost made me want to go gnaw on some clothes on the line or rummage through some taka taka (garbage). Not quite. Anyone recognize this line? “Nothings as good as our goat’s soup grandfathaaa!” then pilauf, ugali, more ugali and you guessed it. Ugali. And some salad to add some balance, and I forgot the goat meat.

It was a beautiful meal to share with such beautiful people in a little open air courtyard on a cool night with some Tanzanian music blaring out.

My New Home
I am living with Jane, sister of Esther (wife of Amos), father of Amiinidab, son of Josiah…not quite. That sounds a bit like Matthew 1.

Jane is 25 and an accountant. She is super funny. She also speaks some English. My other housemate in Veronica who teaches nursery school at the church. It’s a small little place which I have already grown to be quite fond of. It’s got plenty of dudus, cockroaches, some lizards plastered between the shirati and my window screen, and a nice mouse or rat went straight up my wall last night into a hole in the ceiling. Oh, but the best part is that we are right by a disco, a large one, so I fall asleep to the disco beat every night. (just like Eastleigh—a bar on every side. Easteigh was the area we lived in Nairobi). Yeah, I still like it. It’s about a 40 minute walk from the church, which I will continue to venture until I get a bike. Veronica hardly knows any English, except for, “I am not feeling very tiired!” I am enjoying them a lot, but looking forward to the day when I will be speaking and communicating in swahili a lot more than I am able now.

Our house is in the back of another house so we have quite a few neighbours. Nema who is 12, burst into my room the first day sat on my bed and decided to become my best friend. I bought a jump rope one day so I can exercise some more if I want to outside, and so we have a little competition going on every once in awhile between a few of us. Jane was so excited after I got the jump rope, she went out and bought a pair of red shorts that matched mine at the market the following day! Ah, so funny reminds me of elementary school and Kristen Koski (Now Unger) and myself having matching roller skater outfits…aye yayae.

It took me two days to get hooked to this South American (dubbed in English) soap opera called “The Revenge.” It’s horrible but now I have to watch it with Jane every night or I feel like something is missing in my day. Its just awful how they twist you like that and make you "crave it fortnightly"! But, I just discovered that Sky news from UK comes in fairly late and BBC is on in the morning—other than that I don’t have much news source, which may be a bit hard…lakini nitatafuta radio moja… I was shocked to hear about Katrina. I can't comprehend how devastating its been...Many of my new freinds here have shown a lot of sympathy...


Kanisa La Mennonite
The church is so lively and charismatic. Very lively. Its been pretty refreshing thus far to be with people who are so alive and expressive in their dancing, singing. Will definitely be writing about experiencing this community and church more in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home